The client, having updated Tridion to Web 8.5 from 2013, w
Writing code .. that’s the easy part. The hard part can sometimes be deploying the code.
I’ve recently been working on some event system code in SDL Web 8.5 and wanted to deploy it.Â This is a simple matter of stopping a service or two, copying over the DLL, and then restarting the services.
Rather than re-invent the wheel I referred to my notes inÂ Intro to the Event System,Â but then realized that the service model within Web 8.5 was quite a bit different.
In case you missed it, let me share some highlights of the Tridion Developer Summit in Amsterdam this year. This year was a year of changes, it is the first time since the history of TDS that I didn’t present, I even missed the first half of the opening day, since my flight was delayed. Let me start off with the real beginning of TDS though, the preparations and workshops.
The Tridion Developer Summit (TDS) is an annual developer conference for all things related to the SDL Tridion Content Management System.Â Â It’s a two day event full of workshops and presentations from the best in the SDL community so it’s an absolutely must attendÂ conference if you’re working and developing with Tridion… there’s a lot of drinking involved too!
My fellow Product Owners for SDL Tridion Sites have an interesting challenge to somehow understand and clarify the top community product ideas to size them for prioritization against everything else that will be in the Tridion Sites 9.1 release (scheduled for after Sites 9, if the version wasn’t clear).
My colleague Rick has been leading this effort and I’m doing my part to point out all the (many) channels we have in the community and ways to solicit feedback. Ironically, it’s hard to get feedback that we can use to actually understand and size a few of these ideas, especially after I’ve noticed everyone seems to have an idea.
One of our customers has a pattern where they have a list of component links in a container component.Â Some of these container components are hundreds of links long.
Although the contained components are ported from DEV to UAT to PROD, adding the components to the containers is done manually. This usually works well, but what happens when some links are missing? How do you sort through hundreds of component links to find if you need to add one?
In this post I show how to use Excel and Notepad++ toÂ work with the contents of the container component.
You have a bunch of SDL Tridion Content Delivery microservices set up in various locations. In Windows, these can beÂ installed as Windows Services, whichÂ allow you to configure automatic startÂ rather easily, via the Services interface. But how canÂ you do the equivalent in Linux?
When you install one of the Tridion micro-services as a Windows service, you can specify a number of startup parameters. These may include settings such as the database host, database login, the port to use, etc.
These settings will be remembered and used every time the Windows service starts.
But what if you want to see which settings were used, later on?
For that, you will have to look in the Windows registry. The following location is an example using the Discovery service:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Apache Software Foundation\Procrun 2.0\SDLWebDiscoveryService\Parameters
You’ll notice a number of sub-keys:
Stop. The most interesting information is in the
Java key contains the classpath to use (yes, set at the time of installation), the JVM options, and most of the parameters specified for the service (in the
Registry key containing most of the startup options
Start key contains the working directory and the parameters directly related to the hosting of the service (e.g. port to use and whether or not it should register its capabilities with the Discovery service automatically).
Registry key containing the hosting options
If you just need to tweak one of the values, you can edit these registry keys and restart the service. If you require a large amount of changes, I recommend simply uninstalling the service and re-installing it with the new parameters.
As announced by SDL earlier this week – it’s here!
Just in case you’re week’s still too busy to read the full-monty here’s a few snippet toÂ highlight the main ‘changes introduced’ in this new framework:
One of our clients uses Tridion 2013 SP1, and has strict audit requirements for their publishing. We need to know what is on the site at any particular point in time. The auditors might ask, for example, what the user saw if they viewed the site two weeks ago last Tuesday at 3am.
We have to track what gets published,Â and make sure that we have no significant performance degradation while we’re doing that. Publishing for our releases already take several hours, and we can’t extend that by any significant amount of time.
These tests let us look at different options for this timing. Once the tests have been run, we will then have a better idea of which one to implement.