GUI Extension: Components Re-Ordering Dialog
- SDL Best Practices recommend not localizing pages.
- We originally used Container Components so that Editors can re-order components without needing page localization.
- The use of Container Components introduced other issues as explained in this blog about Container Components.
- The solution outlined below does not rely on containers.
- SDL can store additional data on each component using Application Data. Application Data is applied to items across the blueprint and don’t require items localization.
Application Data to store components order
- A GUI extension can update page application data to store components ordering.
- Page Application Data is naturally local to each page
- At publishing time, Application Data is also published within the page.
- The Web Application can use the Page Application data to retrieve the components ordering and show them in the right order.
- Where used does not show where the data has been localized and changed. Here are some possible solutions:
- The GUI extension could flag these application data changes and display them back through the GUI
- The GUI extension puts a component on the page with the ordering data and localize that component.
- Where use functionality is extended to look for the page application data.
The diagram below shows how the components involved in the solution work together