I’ll let the video do most of the talking (yeah, I did a video walkthrough of the basic functionality), but the basic premise is this: on a whim (and a challenge from John), I set about creating an Alchemy plugin from scratch. Prior to this my experience with UI extensions was minimal, but Alex and John have been hooting for weeks that developing an Alchemy plugin is about a thousand times easier than creating one from scratch. So I accepted, and wrote a theme manager that allows for previewing, installing, and all sorts of other shenanigans… and a (mostly) complete theme… in less than a week.
This is the second in a three part series on setting up Tridion Content Delivery on Redhat Linux with an Oracle 12c database
On this year’s (2015) MVP retreat I played with the Alchemy 4 Tridion (A4T) REST API installed on the Tridion Content Manager. The result is a PowerShell script to install an Alchemy plugin in the Tridion Content Manager without having to do anything in the CME GUI.
“R-S-A protected configuration provider?! What the f#$k is that, and why the f#$k is it dying an inglorious death while taking my CM with it?!” Those words, friends, are mine. It’s a rare issue that can make me angry enough to
club a baby seal silently whisper expletives at an inanimate object, but it’s Monday. And I’ve had coffee… lots of coffee. Y’see, I’ve recently been involved in upgrading an entire organization’s mission-critical servers from 2011 to 2013. For the most part, as we all hope in such circumstances, it’s been a breeze; nothing to set the pulse aflutter. Until today. And that terrible, miserable, unhelpful exception provided by ASP.NET.
Recently I’ve been spending all my spare time working on a plugin for the Alchemy Webstore. My plugin needs a popup page to display some information and controls, so I’ve added a simple aspx page, along with a css and js file to give it a little bit of pizazz. Unfortunately for me, I have a very iterative approach to front end development, constantly tweaking my html and css as I get my page looking how I picture it, which with Alchemy means rebuilding my plugin and reinstalling it over and over again. Or does it? Continue reading
This is the first in a three part series on setting up Tridion Content Delivery on Redhat Linux with an Oracle 12c database.
SDL’s Tridion documentation does not go very deep into the set up of Content Delivery in a Linux environment and I have found little content out in the community around this. I thought that it would be valuable to create a few videos that step through the installation of a Redhat Linux server with Oracle 12c for Content Delivery for those with little Linux and Oracle experience. This isn’t intended as a set up guide for a production server (That’s what sysadmins and DBAs live for) but it will give you your own instance of a working Linux/Oracle CD environment that you can play around with.
I created a relatively short (25 minute) video that should help you get DD4T for Java set up and running in Tomcat on a Windows server. It’s a pretty straight forward process but for developers without much Java experience there are some sticking points than can make the set up a little more challenging.
Content Bloom is pleased to announce the launch of an exciting new product that brings the ease and convenience of your favourite app store to SDL Tridion. The brainchild of Alexander Klock, the master coder who gave the world the Razor Mediator for Tridion, Alchemy is a new system set to revolutionize the way Tridion eXtensions are built and installed. Not only does www.alchemywebstore.com and the Alchemy4Tridion eXtension provide one click access to a number of fully developed and tested plugins to add a range of new functionalities to your Tridion instance, but with the Alchemy framework anyone can develop and share new plugins with unheard of ease. Continue reading
Last week I highlighted a sometimes overlooked Tridion feature, the “Schedule Publish Phases Separately” option in the publishing dialogue. In my post I mentioned that one issue I’d noticed with this feature was what happens when the rendering phase of publishing is successful but deployment fails. In situations like this you’re at risk of losing a lot of rendering, and if you were under a time constraint this can be a pretty big inconvenience. However, with some forethought and just a little creativity, you can recover and take advantage of all the rendering you’ve done.