So I finally got around to having enough time to set up a Java-based DXA connecting to a Content Service in the Amazon cloud.
It was a fun adventure, to say the least, and most of it is due to my rustiness in Java. I have tried with both Eclipse and IntelliJ Idea, and definitely IntelliJ made it a lot simpler by detecting project dependencies and installing them for me – which actually made it harder to get Eclipse to work, as I hadn’t noticed what it had done.
Anyway – below are the steps I followed to get a local instance of DXA running within Eclipse. As with the .NET install, you need to make sure you have a proper firewall configuration allowing communication between yourÂ machine and the CIS, as well as having the right mappings set in Topology Manager (I used the default of “localhost:8080″ for this). I will not cover those steps in this post.
Looking at code you wrote three years ago can sometimes be a confronting experience. In case of the code I wrote for SI4T, this was no different. After you go through the six stages of debugging and cringe at the aestestics of the code base, the only thing you can do is rewrite the stuff with the knowledge of today and be solaced by the fact that your code is actually used in production environments and not breaking too much.
The release of SDL Web 8 has seen the biggest overhaul of the Content Delivery stack since Tridion 2011 and much of it has been applauded much, as the new Micro Services architecture and with it the ability to scale, deploy and be distributed in general, gives many more architectural options than just having an API in your web application connecting you to a database.
Building this while guaranteeing backward compatibility with the Tridion 2011/2013 CD stack is more than a major task and I for one am happy to see that that feat was pulled off really well. That is, unless you have overridden the default DAOFactory classes in your Deployer Storage Extensions, as is the case with the SI4T Storage Extensions. When testing SI4T with Web 8, it turned out that loading of the SI4T Storage Extension did not work in every scenario. This has to do with the subtler points of Spring Bean Class loading.
You’ve set up your content delivery environment and have your topologies all ready to go. Your publication has a Business Process Type, so you go to publish your first bit of content…
Huh? Where’s the target? You try a CME refresh, service restarts, even a server reboot withÂ no luck.
This is a little gotcha that Dom CroninÂ pointed out at TDS 2016Â and which I missed.Â As well as creating a business process type (BPT),Â that BPT also needs to be specified in aÂ publication’sÂ properties before you canÂ publish items to it from that publication.
So, add your BPT to your publication’s properties
andÂ you will have your target available when publishing items from your publication. AllÂ is now good with the world.
Recently I was involved in the setup of a new content-delivery environment, migrating from a WebSphere 7.* application server to WebSphere 8.5.5. Right away when we started up the application, we started seeing some content-delivery errors with our session preview web-service which we did not experience on WebSphere 7. I’m going to review the problem, and talk about how it was resolved. Continue reading
Tridion (or SDL Web as it’s called nowadays) allows many extension points. You can extend the content editor GUI, you can extend events, and you can also extend a lot of things on the content delivery side, for example Ambient data claimprocessors, TCDL tag handlers, storage extensions, …
These content delivery extension points are usually written in Java.
This blog post will show you how you can easily add your own configuration files for your code.
I recently gave a presentationÂ at the Ohio Valley SDL Web User Group, whichÂ focused on the two main Content Delivery frameworks DD4T and DXA. Â If you were not present for this presentation, you can find a copy of my slides after the jump.
At the Tridion Developer Summit in SeptemberÂ Siawash Shibana and Albert Romkes gave a presentation of aÂ DD4T .NET application runningÂ under vNext (The codename for the next .NET framework) on Linux.
Siawash and Albert made the application available publicy and although it currently uses mock SDL Web 8 provider objectsÂ plugging this into a real life content delivery service should be really simple when SDL Web 8 is released this month.
Hoping this blog will help you guys if you receive the same error I encountered today whilst configuring the Tridion 2013 SP1 deployer as a .Net application.
This is the thirdÂ in a three part series on setting up Tridion Content Delivery on Redhat Linux with an Oracle 12c database.
ViewÂ part one of that describesÂ the RHEL installation and part two that details the Oracle database installation process.