When mass publishing content from Tridion, the publish job is handled as a single transaction.Â Using the Alchemy Page Publisher plugin it’s possible to perform this task but create single items for publishing.
After the jump I’ve created a short video to demonstrate this functionality.
So, you’ve got a release going on and some 20 people are publishing. AÂ few of the editors only have a page or two to publish but some of them then select to publish the whole site and a few have published only whole Structure Groups!
How many of these publish by Structure Group!Â And, I ask, Why?
Why do it in the first place?
The first answer I hear a lot is
I don’t know exactly what to publish
Just sharing some advise on referencing your SDL Tridion DLLs from a centralised location.
I found out how to use a new CM-side extension point today; Renderers. I had been struggling for a while with the fact that SmartTarget does not index the Keyword key – which was precisely what I wanted to set up some promotion content selection filters on. It turns out to be quite easy, and indeed gives a generic method for messing with the content that SmartTarget indexes without having to fiddle about on the Delivery side with Java or Kettle.
I have often come in on projects where a lot of the component templates are ‘dynamic’. Nothing wrong with that in itself, but when I have asked the question Why? the answers start to give me the feeling that the Dynamic Component Presentation (DCP) is a bit of a misunderstood animal.
In this post I don’t intend to teach you what a DCP is, or talk about any technical details of using them. Rather I explore the reasons that are often given for using DCPs, debunk some myths, and hopefully make you think a bit more carefully when making that decision to select the “Published as a Dynamic Component” option.
Back in February I posted an article about Custom Resolvers. Yesterday I rolled my first Custom Resolver into a production environment, so I figured it was time to share my findings.
To set the scene, it probably helps to explain the business requirements first. We have a large implementation with over 300 publications. Many of these share content, some of which needs to be secured, and links to binaries that also need to be secured. We have a third party security solution, which is implemented as a proxy on top of our published site. The proxy looks for a security.xml in the folder of any request, and then prompts for login etc depending what is contained in the XML file. This works very well for pages, but the pages often link to binaries (which were all contained in the â€œ/imagesâ€ directory for each publication). In order to secure binaries with different sets of restrictions we needed to bind the binaries in different Structure Groups. To simplify the concept, we decided to publish a variant of each binary linked from a page to the same Structure Group as the page. This has the desired effect of securing all binaries that are linked from secured pages with the same restrictions.Â When a binary is linked from multiple secured pages, multiple variants of the binary are published. Continue reading
Before I start with this blog, let me thank all those who have helped me find my way whilst stumbling around in the forest on this one, you know who you are. Had I read the release note properly over a year ago, I am sure I would never have made this journey, however I have learned a lot and figured I would share what I found.
A long, long time ago, in an office somewhere in the Netherlands I decided to make a VBScript Component Template for Tridion R5.0 which created the HTML for an article, and then published a summary DCP (Dynamic Component Presentation) for inclusion in a broker driven index page. I was a happy man.
Sometime later, I was at a client in Norway, and I only had rights to make templates and pages etc. My client needed me to create a new user in the CMS. The Tridion Administrator was on vacation, so I made a template that created a new user in the system. Again, I was a happy man. Continue reading